Earth Week Fun Facts
- 2019 marked the eighth annual UT Dallas Earth Week. #utdearthweek
- Volunteers donated 166.6 hours and $4,110.89 of volunteer time during Earth Week 2019.
- Earth Week 2019 events and service opportunities engaged 891 participants in 17 events with 20 community partners, 17 campus departments, and 8 student organizations.
- Earth Fair is the largest event during Earth Week and features an array of student and community focused green initiatives.
- UT Dallas has a certified monarch waystation on campus. Butterfly Flutterby, established during Earth Week in spring 2015, give students the opportunity to enjoy maintaining the butterfly habitat year-round.
UT Dallas Goes Green!
- UT Dallas diverts all food waste from the landfill for composting at Dining Hall West and students deliver leftover food to the needy through the Food Recovery Network.
- UT Dallas is certified a Bee Campus USA through the Xerces Society and a certified Tree Campus USA through the Arbor Day Foundation.
- More than 3,000,000 plastic bottles have been saved by students using campus’ 43 water bottle filling stations.
- UT Dallas has 7 LEED Certified Buildings, and is pursuing LEED Certification for the Science Building that is currently under construction.
- UT Dallas recycled 1.4 million pounds of waste in 2018.
- Through the Office of Student Volunteerism, year-round "green" events are hosted at the UT Dallas Community Garden, Butterfly Flutterby, Adopt-a-Highway, and Operation Upcycle series.
Do you have questions or want to be a part of Earth Week? Contact the OSV if you would like to get involved!
Each year, the UT Dallas community comes together to celebrate sustainability and environmental practices through interactive and educational events and programs during Earth Week. With the assistance of valued partners, Earth Week 2022 is presented in partnership with the UTD Office of Sustainability. Please visit the Office of Student Volunteerism page on EngageUTD in order to view and register for our lineup of volunteer events including Garden Workshops, Earth Fair, and more.
Earth Week 2022
17 comets volunteered!
We treated fire ants, added native pollinator plants to the circular planter, transplanted and tended to plants in pop-up planters, and started basil seeds to take home.
7 comets volunteered!
We made signs calling for climate action, to show our support for sustainability and climate action efforts on campus.
27 campus departments, student organizations, and community partners set up booths to share their sustainability efforts with students.
Students painted climate action signs at the OSV booth. Over 80 signs were made by students to support climate action and sustainability on campus!